Thursday, December 07, 2006

An Open Letter to Jennifer Hauck


Dear Jen,

First, I want to ease your mind about the house: It is still standing. The cats are healthy. Flex hasn't been eating his special kitty-food, but he also hasn't had kitty-diarrhea in the house either. I think he's fine.

Thank you so much for the opportunity to housesit for you while you are in Scotland. Have I ever told you how much I love your home? The demensions are perfect. All the space you need, nothing more. I have fallen in love with the little office upstairs. It's the size of a small bathroom, but feels like a creativity womb. I think I could get a lot of work done in there.


Where do you keep the broom? A little ash dust is starting to gather outside the stove. Speaking of which, keeping the fire going hasn't been a problem. I feel like I can control the temperature pretty well by now. I guess it's just one of those things you have to do to understand. By the way, where do you keep the matches? So far I haven't had to start over with kindling except after one long day away. I found the last ember glowing underneath gray ash and was able to catch the newspaper with a little blowing.

I started my day with Harvest Moon this morning. I cooked some eggs and brought in some more wood. On my way to work I picked up your mail and Netflix DVDs. Your post master was very nice.

Yesterday a neighbor dog came over. He's an old yellow dog that slept on the porch chair for a couple of hours. When he started shivering I was tempted to let him lay by the fire to warm up, but I decided against it.


I picked off the last bits of meat from the chicken carcass, but I didn't want to put it in the trash where the cats can get to it? Where do you think I should dispose of it? I've also eaten some of your olives, cheese and crackers, and when Peter came over last night we got into the Oreos. We watched that South Korean film Memories of Murder. I think you would like it a lot, even though you have to read the whole damn thing. Also, Peter didn't fall asleep this time. I did.

Anyways, I hope you are having fun in Scotland. Are you going to bring back any goodies? I'll try to keep Peter out of the scotch until you return.



Safe travels.

Sincerely,
Channing

p.s. The barthroom window upstairs is cracked open. Should it be closed?

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Dear Channing,

This makes me want to live in Vermont. And drink unpasteurised milk.

Sincerely,

Megan MR Tidd

5:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my Channing, what a wonderful letter to read, and see when so far from home. I am so happy you are in my home,and glad the cats seem to be feeling better.The dust pan is by the front door, and a small shovel is behind the stove, matches are in the small drawer next tp fridge, and I would throw the chicken in the wood stove when it is good and hot. My trip has been wonderful, the people in Scotland are so great, but it will be good to be home. You can come and work in the office anytime. I thought it was a little stinky in there because I think some small animal may have died in it, and I can't find it, but yes it still has good vibes. Thank you so much.. Jen ....I will try to refill the whiskey supplies for PJ and JP

8:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home