Friday, July 25, 2008

Archive: Portrait

In the summer of 2003 I did my first newspaper internship. I also did a project on a camp in my free time. That's me on the right. One of the girls in the camp asked if she could take my picture.

That camera bag is still in use. I can't imagine what was in it then. All I had was a Nikon FM2 and two lenses.



The motivation to do the story on the camp was primarily because I really liked its director, Mr. Pitts. He reminded me of my fifth grade teacher, Mr. Quigly. They both treated kids like adults; as if they expected something from them.

This picture, below, could have been a good one if I had a clue what I was doing.

4 Comments:

Blogger brett said...

what? were you about 17 in this photo? man, you're all growns up now.

2:07 AM  
Blogger cohnhead said...

what would you have down to make it a 'good one?'

3:59 PM  
Blogger Channing said...

I took the picture because I was moved by Mr. Pitts throwing his hands up in celebration of the rain instead of running from it. Since that's the reason for the picture, I wish I would have been standing in a place where the elements in the frame would have supported that instead of distracted from it.

Nothing in the right half of the frame really contributes to the moment. I like the two girls behind Mr. Pitts with their hands in the air. I wish I would have isolated the three of them by standing in front. We could then also see their faces.

12:58 PM  
Blogger Erica said...

I know Mr. Pitts! And you're right, he's a very cool man.

I think a vertical crop of just him and the two girls would make a pretty nice shot as is.

4:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home