Monday, February 05, 2007

In My Head

I once heard an editor tell a photographer, "If you don't have the picture, it didn't happen."

Yesterday I grabbed my camera, but I forget the memory card. While on a hike in Hanover, Peter made his way to the edge of the frozen Connecticut River. Holding on to a tree, he tested the ice with one foot, then both.

The picture I couldn't take: With his arms parallel to the ice, slowly moving away from the shore, Peter finds himself twenty feet from the edge. In the foreground are two trees and their branches perfectly separated on either side of him. His isolated footprints on an otherwise smooth surface. In the background, infinite snow and ice. Clean, balanced, symmetrical. Peter as Christ-figure : )

Having no proof of this moment, perhaps I am like Ophelia in Pan's Labyrinth, which we had just finished watching moments before our expedition. Maybe this was a figment of my imagination. Without record, I can't be sure it wasn't.

3 Comments:

Blogger travellerb said...

speaking of pictures you didn't take

http://www.unphotographable.com

you're welcome.

fred and i will be on the east coast the third weekend of august.

b

10:10 PM  
Blogger Channing said...

Great find, yo. Thanks for sharing that, Docta.

11:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

of course the photo may have been balanced and symetrical...but was there sufficient separation ? : )
Keith King

12:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home